Thursday 23 February 2012

Shirt Project Update

I've been busy over the last week and made only slow progress with my shirt project, but I finally have photographs to show for the work I've done so far! My garment photography is very poor I'm afraid. You can see, though, how there's no placket down the front of the shirt. It does look a little lost without this, but it might look better once the snaps are on.

Here you can see the western-style detail on the chest, I don't know the terminology but it's like a mini yoke on either shoulder. I think these have worked well.
You should be able to see from this picture how there's no collar stand/base. The pattern also included a small button loop that you can see here, this seems to be a bowling shirt feature that wouldn't normally be found on a western shirt, so I'm a bit worried that it's going to look odd with the pearl snaps.
The pockets are ok but I'm annoyed that there's some definite puckering all the way around, I'm really not sure what's caused this so I'll have to do some research on how I could have made this sit more neatly.

I'm particularly pleased with my seams, which you can't see much in these photos, but I used 'Run and Fell Seams', or I've also seen them called 'Flat Felled Seams', across the shoulders, down the sides and round the sleeves. This is basically the flat double-stitched that you see mostly on jeans, as shown in this photo. It makes for very neat seams on both sides and most western shirts use this all the way round. I'll be posting a tutorial very soon on how to achieve this look.

Still to do are:
- the bottom hem
- adding the pearl snaps (I'm aiming to create a tutorial for this)
- adding a flap over each pocket to add to the western style

No comments:

Post a Comment