Thursday 23 January 2014

Vintage fabric blouse

This fabric had everyone at my sewing class cooing over it, I don't know exactly how old this fabric is but my grandmother has had it at least since the war! My sewing tutor said it could easily be 30s/40s so I tried to take extra care when using it. Here's a photo of the blouse I made with it, during construction:



It's now almost complete, just the buttonholes on the sleeves to add so will post an updated photo when I get one. The fabric is a delicate, quite sheer crepe de Chine (I'd never heard of this until now!) so I had to work the entire thing using French seams which was a first for me, but which gave really pleasing results as the inside is just as neat as the outside. However I had a terrible time with the Peter Pan collar, the instructions on the pattern (New Look 6078) really weren't right, I wish I'd read up on patternreview.com before starting but you live and learn!

The final result is really lovely but it fits very snugly so I may need to let out the darts a touch and it's quite sheer so I will need some sort of camisole to wear underneath.

I got some buttons at 5p each at a local knitting store so again this make was virtually free! I'm on a roll!


No comments:

Post a Comment