Monday 27 January 2014

Broderie anglaise dress #7 - completed

So, I have finalIy completed the broderie anglaise dress, but it was touch and go after I sabotaged myself by idiotically leaving the iron on too high a setting when pressing down the back lapels (I thought I was being so clever doing those!) and melted a hole right through the lining! Disaster.


The idea for this design on the back was inspired simply by the fact I only had a shorter zip in stock than 
the one required by the dress pattern (Simplicity 2444). Therefore it made sense to make a feature out of it and fold down the excess fabric. As I was fully lining it anyway, it made a nice bit of contrast detail on the back and I was pretty chuffed with it! Then I ruined it!!

Oh well. Here's how I got round it: instead of trying to replace that bit of lining,  as it's only for myself, I simply reverted to the original neckline and used a button and inserted a loop on one side, thus creating a nice cutaway effect at the top. I quite often see a little loop and button arrangement at the back of tops, and this is a similar principle. Here's how it came out:



And the front view:




As you can see, I've added a lace collar/trim around the neck to add interest. I'm not sure it's really my style, but I've got heaps of lace sitting around and was looking for an excuse to use some! This was hand-sewn on at the neck. By the way isn't it mad how different the fabric looks under a flash! In daylight it's somewhere in between but more petrol blue than sky blue.

Overall I'm not sure I'll be wearing this very often - it doesn't fit too great (I don't remember having that problem last time with the 2444 but from now on I will be measuring pattern pieces against my own measurements). I don't feel too pleased with the skirt and gathered waist either, I took a gamble and did my own thing rather than sticking to the pattern and it looks fine, just a little boxy when worn. Also the zip - the fabric is a little gathered on one side so I haven't done a great job there. But, I hate zips and they hate me back so I'm just glad it went in! Really must practise those more.

I'd say this was a good practise garment but not one of my favourites. I can see me taking the lace off, adding something at the waist and re-fitting the zip, at some point - but for now, I'm happy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment